Saffron is a type of spice obtained from the stamen of the flowering plant indigenous to Asia. It's used to add flavor and character to different types of foods. As a matter of fact, it's considered a staple spice in Asian, Italian, Indian and Spanish cuisine because of its savory spiciness. Saffron is among the most expensive spices in the world. For this reason many people use it sparingly and with care. Unknown to a lot of, the benefits of saffron go beyond your kitchen. It also boasts a range of health benefits as well. Let me share for you a number of them.
1. It helps suppress appetite. Probably the most common use of saffron extract would be to suppress appetite. It suppresses appetite by managing serotonin levels in the body which is the number 1 cause of binge eating. By reduction of one's appetite, saffron extract can help manage your calorie intake and promote weight loss in the long run. Aside from reducing appetite, it also helps reduce food cravings and cravings.
2. It helps protect the mind from damage. Severals studies have shown that saffron extract might help protect the cells in the brain from inflammatory damage. This can help improve and maintain your brain's health. As well as that, it has been found that with regular intake of saffron extract supplements, you can increase both your long and short term memory.http://www.reinventingaging.org/
3. It helps reduce anxiety and stress attacks. Saffron extract helps facilitate various chemical reactions in the brain which are often released when we eat foods. By releasing these happy chemicals, you are able to drastically improve your mood and lower panic attacks.
4. It can help alleviate body pain. For hundreds of years, saffron extract has been used by Asians and Middle Easterns like a natural pain killer. Nowadays, it is still commonly used to treat stomach pain in addition to kidney pain.
5. It can help treat and stop depression. Did you know that a 30 mg saffron extract is really as powerful like a 20 mg from the anti depressant drug Prozac? What is good about saffron extract is that it is all natural meaning there aren't any side effects unlike commercially produced anti depressants. Its anti depressant effect works by raising the serotonin levels in the body. Its effect has been said to serve you for a good 12 hours so it's very ideal to consider if you are PMSing or simply plain depressed.